Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Projects Shmojects

I've seen countless women dig into their creative and crafty side when they become pregnant and/or become a mom. I never understood it. Ooohhh, do I get it now! I'm on bed rest for two months before my delivery date. Talk about making me crazy! I'm not one to be able to sit around, staring at the television, and eating chocolate. Although I appreciate those moments:) I need structure and human interaction. I need to feel useful and productive and it's killing me to just sit around! Everyone tries to make me feel better saying things like, "consider it your job to lay low and keep your baby from coming too early". While I appreciate the attempts, that does not help ease my restlessness. I also have an anxiety disorder on top of it totally unrelated to the pregnancy so put it all together and I'm a hot mess! All that to say, I have to have at least one plan per day. Doctor appointment, lunch or dinner with a friend, visit with Grandma, store with the hubs, go to my bff's house, whatever it may be...I just need one thing to wake up for. I also need projects. So I've been crafting. The nursery is almost completely DIY projects and it continues! I thought I would share a few of my projects.
I have been trying to figure out how to store Avery's toys and I don't want to spend what it costs to invest in a legit toy box. At least not yet while she has hardly any toys and obvi isn't playing with any yet. I went to Joanns and bought a square basket/crate thing that already has a bit of a shabby chic look to it. I picked out letters in a cute font, painted them pink, and wood glued them to the box. Tada! I can take credit for an adorable toy box that required very little work!
I wanted to have some form of door decor for Avery's room and I spent a lot of time skimming Pinterest for ideas. I wasn't a huge fan of really any of them. So I sort of threw together my own idea. I had fun picking out the stick-on cupcakes and the pink and white polka-dot ribbon. To be honest, it didn't turn out quite the way I would have liked but it's good enough:)I wrote Avery a little note on the back "made with love by Mama" so in the future she knows where the crafty items came from:)
I had a lot of fun with wall decor. I made some adorable frames for the wall above the crib that feature an A as well as two prints off Etsy with quotes. I also painted a small shelf and decorated around it, including more prints with quotes off Etsy, pictures of my Mama pregnant with me and then a picture of me pregnant with Avery, and then some simple little other decorative items. I love that the walls are covered in sweet items I worked hard on just for Avery. I have a bit of an obsession with prints with quotes from Etsy and wish I had the computer software to design my own. I carefully chose feminist/pro strong women quotes that I want Avery to grow up reading: "Though she be little, she is fierce", "Oh the places you will go", "dream big little one"-I'm pretty sure these will inspire her even though she won't be able to read:)
Tonight I made these fun clothing dividers for the closet. I got the idea off Pinterest and have been wanting to make some for quite some time. I think all of us Mama's know we have clothes from newborn all the way up that we get as gifts or see in awesome sales or for me, something I just adore and can picture being adorable for next summer. So these dividers help me keep track of how much clothes I have in each size. I had a lot of fun designing these while watching "The Voice" premiere with my honey:) I imagine the projects will continue until the day I go into labor. I think I've filled the nursery with PLENTY of items and now need to venture out to items for the living room and dining room. I'm on the search for inspiration...

No comments:

Post a Comment